29 November, 2006

In Memory of Victoria Williams.



Robert's Grandpa and Grandma.

Robert with his Grandpa.







I just wanted to write a little bit about Victoria Williams. She was Robert's grandma. Even though I didn't get the opportunity to meet her, I could sense that she was a sweet lady. I remember Robert's eyes would just light up every time she would call. The conversations were always short and sweet. It touched me dearly that she would ask Robert how I was doing, even though I never met her. After hearing stories about her and being at her house, I realized that she was a very neat, organized, meticulous, loving, sweet lady. Going through her scrapbooks, you could always see this big, beautiful, warm smile. Anyone could see through that smile what an elegant spirit she had.

I didn't know much about Bob Williams, Robert's grandpa. He died in 2003. I am sure that he was just as pleasant as Victoria and it is a shame that I didn't get to meet both of them.

Robert's mom and aunt kindly gave me some books of hers. I grabbed this book called The Family Album of Favorite Poems by Grosset and Dunlap. I was going through some of the poems and I came across this poem. I thought the words in it described the spirit she had.



She Walks In Beauty

She walks in beauty, like the night of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellowed to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling place.
And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!
George Gordon, Lord Byron


This family photo was taken on their 50th Anniversary in 1993.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear sweet Liza Jo,

Well, the tears came when I saw your tribute to my mom, Victoria Williams--the pictures, the poem, all that you wrote, so very touching--thank you. Victoria was a real lady and a wonderful mom and grandmother--you would have loved her and I know she would have loved you. We talked often about you and Robert and how happy the two of you are. Mom was thrilled that you and Robert found each other (me too!).

Victoria was quite an influence in Robert's life and your memory to her on your blog is such a wonderful gift to all of us who knew and loved her, thank you.

Love, Pam and Mark